Moxibustion is a traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) therapy that involves burning a dried plant material called moxa (made from the leaves of the mugwort plant, scientifically known as Artemisia vulgaris) near certain acupuncture points or meridians on the body. The heat generated from burning moxa is used to stimulate these points, which are believed to correspond to specific organs or areas of the body. Moxibustion is often used in conjunction with acupuncture, but it can also be a standalone treatment.
Here’s how moxibustion works and how it can help:
- Stimulation of Qi (Energy) and Blood Flow: According to TCM principles, moxibustion helps to stimulate the flow of Qi (energy) and blood in the body. By doing so, it aims to restore the balance of Yin and Yang, which is believed to be essential for good health.
- Warming and Dispelling Cold: Moxibustion is often used to address conditions associated with cold and stagnation in the body. The heat from the burning moxa is believed to warm and invigorate the affected areas, promoting circulation and alleviating cold-related symptoms.
- Supporting the Immune System: Some practitioners claim that moxibustion can strengthen the immune system and improve overall well-being.
Moxibustion can be used to assist with a wide range of conditions, including but not limited to:
- Pain Management: Moxibustion is commonly used to relieve pain conditions such as arthritis, muscle and joint pain, menstrual pain, and headaches.
- Digestive Disorders: It may be employed to address digestive issues like diarrhea, constipation, and irritable bowel syndrome.
- Respiratory Conditions: Some practitioners use moxibustion for respiratory problems like asthma and bronchitis.
- Gynecological Disorders: Moxibustion can be applied to regulate menstruation and address conditions like infertility.
- Breech Birth: In some cases, a specialized form of moxibustion known as “moxa therapy for breech presentation” is used to encourage the fetus to turn to a head-down position before childbirth.
- Immune Support: It may be used to strengthen the immune system and increase resistance to illnesses.
As for why someone might have moxibustion treatment in Cairns, or any other location, it depends on their specific health concerns and preferences. People seek moxibustion and other alternative therapies for various reasons, including:
- Pain Relief: If they are experiencing chronic pain or discomfort and are seeking non-pharmaceutical treatment options.
- Holistic Health: Some individuals prefer holistic and traditional approaches to healthcare, which may include TCM therapies like moxibustion.
- Supplementing Conventional Medicine: Moxibustion is sometimes used as a complementary therapy alongside conventional medical treatments to enhance overall well-being.
- Specific Conditions: If they have a particular condition that is commonly treated with moxibustion in TCM, such as arthritis or digestive issues.
How to Book an Appointment
Please follow the Book online button to book a time or check availability. Alternatively please text
0408 054 538.
The clinic is located at 111-113 McManus street Whitfield. Its in a Queenslander and the entrance if via the front door. There is an intake form to fill in in the foyer.
Please note there is a 24 hour change or appointment or cancellation or no show policy.
The full Fee applies.